There were separate Fire services in Travancore, Cochin and Malabar States before the formation of Kerala State. There were three fire stations in Travancore and Kochi and five fire stations in Malabar. These stations were under the control of Police Department. In 1949, the Fire Station of Travancore and Cochin states were joined together. In 1956, Malabar state was also included and thus the Kerala Fire Service came into being. From then onwards, the Inspector General of Police was the head of the Fire Service up to 1963. Fire services worked as part of the Police Department. As per the Government Notification No.9018/61, dated: 21.06.1962 Kerala Fire Force Act came into existence.
The Kerala Fire Force department started working as a separate department since 1963. Director of Civil Defence held the position of the Head of the Department till 1967. From 1967 to August 1970 an Inspector General of Police held the charge of the Director for Fire Force. In 1970 the Fire Force Department was brought under a separate Director. In 1982 the name of the Director of Fire Force was renamed as ‘Commandant General, Home Guards, Civil Defence and Fire Force’. Considering the rescue works under taken by this Department and significance in that area, this department had been renamed as ‘Kerala Fire & Rescue Services’ in 2002. Now the Department is rendering its remarkable and commendable service through 124 Fire & Rescue Stations. In 2015 the name of the Commandant General was renamed as ‘Director General, Fire and Rescue, Home Guards and Civil Defence’. There are 14 District Offices (Assistant Divisional Offices in each Districts) and 6 Regional Offices in Thiruvananthapuram, Kottayam, Ernakulam, Palakkad ,Kozhikode and Kannur and 1 Assistant Divisional Officer in Kerala Fire and rescue Services Academy. Motor Transport wing is established in Headquarters, Academy and six Regional offices. The Department is in a stage of modernisation and development so as to provide better service to the public in all emergency situations.